- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup carrot (diced peeled, I cut it into quarters then slice into a dice)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 2 large stalks or to taste)
- 1/4 cup flour (depending on how thick you want your soup)
- 1 quart beef stock (low-sodium preferred)
- 1 cup beef gravy (left-over, or beef consommé, homemade stock or ready made beef gravy)
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with juice (I like to chop my tomatoes into smaller pieces)
- 8 ounces roast (cooked, beast, cut into cubes)
- 2 cups waxy potato (diced semi-, I used Yukon gold, red potatoes or white rose work well here too, russet? not so much)
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley (cooked)
- 2 thyme sprigs (fresh, or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves (torn)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- freshly ground pepper
|Calories590Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ryals Morris 9 Jan
Excellent recipe-easy too! The only thing I would note is that there are more than 4 servings here! More like 8! Makes a big pot of soup-Yummly!
Fran B. 14 Jan 2017
So Good! I used a beef bone and upped the barley and it is so hearty and tasty! Great winter time warm up!
Char A. 28 Mar 2016
Excellent. I do not add the potatoes because I sometimes freeze leftovers and find potatoes go mealy. Other then that follow the recipe to a T.