- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 onions (large, diced)
- 6 carrots (halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 2 baby beets (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 29 ounces tomatoes with juice (canned)
- v 8 (5 fl. oz low-sodium, cocktail)
- 1 2/3 cups tomato sauce (roasted, or chunky tomato sauce)
- 1 teaspoon worchestershire
- 5 ounces adzuki beans (soaked overnight)
- 6 ounces kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 10 ounces cucumber (grated)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 35 romano beans (fresh, Italian flat beans, shelled, you ca)
- 7 1/2 ounces sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup pot barley
- 19 ounces beans (can small red Mexican, drained and rinsed)
- 1 pound frozen green beans (or fresh, chopped)
- Heat water in a large stockpot over medium-high.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add onions, carrots and beets and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to turn golden - about 8-9 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer, until fragrant.
- Stir in wine and cook over high heat, stirring well, to dislodge the fond from the pot and reduce slightly.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, V8, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, soaked beans and grated cucumber.
- Stir in bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, paprika and pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3 hours.
- Stir in the freshly shelled Romano beans, sweet potato and barley and cook 1 hour further, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves and thyme stems.
- Add canned and frozen beans, uncover and cook at a brisk simmer for 30 minutes.