- 15 pounds boneless pork roast
- 12 apples (each, chopped *)
- 6 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 1/4 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 cups cranraisins (OR raisins)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 50 pita bread rounds (each, whole wheat, 4-inch)
- 50 lettuce leaves (each, washed, divided)
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not cover pan.
- Insert meat thermometer into the center of the roast.
- Cook at 325 degrees Fahrenheit until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- (Approximate oven time may vary depending on oven use, and weight of pork being cooked. Start checking with a thermometer an hour into cooking time.)
- Remove from oven and let the roast "rest" for 15 minutes.
- Place in a shallow pan, allowing space around the roast.
- Cover and refrigerate, cooling to 40 degrees Fahrenheit within 4 hours.
- Cube chilled roast (about 10 pounds cooked) into approximately ¼ by ¼ inch cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- In a large bowl combine the apples, celery, mayonnaise, barbeque sauce, cranraisins and salt.
- Stir in the cubed pork cubes. Set aside.
- Cut the pita rounds in half, forming two pockets.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet.
- Line the inside of the pita pockets halves with lettuce.
- Spoon pork mixture into each half.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.