- 3/4 cup warm water (110 - 115°F)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/2 packet)
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 28 grams egg yolk (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups American pale wheat beer (or German-style lager)
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons dijon (or German-style mustard)
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- Combine ¾ cup warm water, sugar and kosher salt in bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Mini Stand Mixer then sprinkle with yeast. Let stand 5 minutes or until mixture begins to foam.Add flour and butter. Attach bowl and Dough Hook to mixer.Turn to Speed 2 and mix until well combined. Turn to Speed 4 and knead 4 to 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and pulls away from side of bowl; remove dough from bowl. Clean mixer bowl then coat it well with vegetable oil. Return dough to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat convection oven to 400°F(or 425°F for standard oven). Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly brush with vegetable oil.
- Bring 10 cups water and baking soda to a boil in 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, transfer dough to lightly oiled work surface.Divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece to a 12-inch-long rope. Tie a knot in the center each rope, then join the two loose ends, pressing to seal. Place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Boil pretzels, in batches, 1 minute. Remove from water with a slotted spoon or small mesh strainer, drain well and return to baking sheet.
- Combine egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl. Brush tops of each pretzel with egg mixture and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until dark golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- While pretzels are baking, bring beer to a simmer in small sauce pan on medium heat. Toss cheeses with cornstarch in large bowl until combined.
- Add cheese mixture to beer a little at a time while whisking constantly until cheese is melted. Remove from heat; whisk in cream and mustards. Serve warm with pretzel knots.