Basque Pork PintxosPORK
Serve these pintxos as a snack or appetizer, perhaps paired with other skewered snacks or Spanish-style tapas. Try olives, toasted bread with different toppings, grilled prawns or Spanish chorizo. Inspired by the dish Chef Dan Pancake and Beth Autridge prepared for Food Network In Concert.
- 1 lb. pork belly
- 1 lb. pork blade steaks (1-inch thick)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp. coriander
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 Tbsp. pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. wine vinegar (red wine, white wine, champagne, or sherry)
- 2 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. shallots (chopped)
- 2 tsp. capers (drained then chopped)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine garlic, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Butterfly the pork belly so it’ll open like a book. Spread some of the spice blend over the inside of the belly, then arrange the shoulder on top, trimming it as necessary to cover half of the belly. Spread some spice mixture on the shoulder meat, then fold the belly closed over the shoulder. Spread remaining spice mixture on the outsides of the belly. Cut the belly/shoulder sandwich in half, creating 2 approximately 6-inch pieces of layered pork.
- In a large skillet over high heat, cook the belly/shoulder pieces until well-seared, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to an 8x8-inch baking pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cover tightly with foil. Bake until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 195 degrees F., about 2 1/2 hours. Remove pork from the pan and set aside to cool to room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least overnight, or as long as 2 days.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories690Calories from Fat600|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat600|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes