A traditional French dessert, basque cake is a simple looking but impressive tasting dessert. The classic buttery crust is filled with your choice of pastry cream or cherry jam. Almond flour is added to the dough for an extra bit of flavor and the unique nuttiness almonds bring to any recipe. The combination the crisp crust and the creamy, soft filling makes for the perfect dessert.
- 130 grams butter (softened and cut into pieces)
- 130 grams superfine sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 180 grams flour
- 50 grams almond (powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (for gilding)
- 300 grams cherry (black, Basque jam)
- In a bowl, whisk the butter with the sugar and salt. When the mixture is white, add the eggs one at a time while whisking.
- In another bowl, mix the flour with the almond powder and baking powder. Stir the mixture gradually. Dough will form a ball, but should be slightly sticky. If it is too sticky, add a little flour.
- Put the dough to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Optional: during the rest time, prepare the cream according to the recipe below.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and work it just enough to soften it a bit, so that it becomes more flexible.
- Cut the dough in half and spread it into a buttered pie plate. Garnish with custard or cherry jam.
- Roll out the second portion of the dough and arrange on top. Cut edges and pinch the two parts of dough together.
- Dilute the egg yolk with a teaspoon of water. With a brush, put the egg wash on the top of the cake.
- Using a fork, draw designs in the top of the dough if desired.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes. The dough may still be slightly sticky after baking.
|Calories690Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.