- sugar cookies (Basic)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour (sifted)
- raw sugar (for freezer cookies)
- raspberry jam (for thumbprint cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Gradually add eggs and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Fold in flour until well combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Bring mixture together and lightly knead until smooth. Press into a disc shape, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- For basic shaped cookies, roll out dough until 1/4 inch thick. Use 2 inch cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place on prepared trays, 3/4 inch apart. Chill for 15 mins. Bake for 8-10 mins. Let cool on trays for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For freezer cookies, divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll each into a 1 1/4 inch-thick log. Wrap in plastic wrap, twisting ends to seal. Freeze. When ready to bake, slice into 1/4 inch-thick rounds. Press 1 side of each round into raw sugar. Place on trays 3/4 inch apart, sugar-side facing up. Bake for 15-20 mins, until golden. Let cool on trays for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For thumbprint cookies, roll tablespoons of dough into balls. Place on trays 1 1/4 inches apart. Using a small spoon, make an indent in the center of each cookie. Fill with jam. Bake for 12-15 mins, until golden. Let cool on trays for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
|Calories80Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Paula V. 26 Feb 2016
The dough was way too sticky and soft to knead. I had to add a lot more flour to be able to manipulate it. In the end, it didn't come out as expected: they were quite spongy... I prefer them crunchier. They tasted nice, but I think I'll keep trying other recipes.