Basic Roasted ChickenYummly
Classic roasted chicken, cooked perfectly in your oven with no frills and little hassle.
- 5 pounds whole roasting chicken
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 onions
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 lemon
- 1Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- 2Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and position a roasting rack inside of it.
- 3Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken under cold water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Smash the garlic cloves with a back of the knife and discard the papery skins.
- 5Take one garlic clove and rub it firmly over the entire surface of the chicken. Place all the smashed garlic cloves in the cavity of the chicken.
- 6Liberally season the chicken with the salt and black pepper, to taste, taking care to season the outside as well as the internal cavity.
- 7In a small bowl, stir the softened butter and olive oil together until mostly combined. It is okay if some pieces of butter are still visible.
- 8With clean hands, rub the butter and olive oil all over the surface of the chicken, and under the breast skin.
- 9Transfer the chicken breast-side up onto the roasting rack.
- 10Tie the legs securely together with kitchen twine. Tuck the wing tips underneath the body of the chicken.
- 11Separate the onion into two parts and place into the cavity of the chicken, along with the fresh parsley, thyme, and lemon half.
- 12Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- 13Roast the chicken for 80-90 minutes, or until the thickest part of the chicken breast reaches an internal temperature of 160° F.
- 14Remove the roasting pan from the oven.
- 15Allow the chicken to rest on the roasting rack for 10 minutes.
- 16Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Carve as desired, and serve.