Bring the sweet flavors of Madrid to your kitchen with this recipe for Bartolillos Madrilenos, or Madrid Cream Puffs. Filled with a rich vanilla bean cream, these pastry puffs are made with white wine for a unique smooth flavor. Fried until golden, these delectable Madrid Cream Puffs can be sprinkled with powdered sugar for an elegant finish. This pastry dough only needs to rest for 30 minutes, so you can easily prepare these cream puffs in one day.
- 1/2 vanilla beans
- 0.25 liters milk
- 40 grams pastry flour
- 1 eggs
- 65 grams sugar
- 25 grams sugar
- 75 grams lard
- 100 milliliters white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 grams flour
- olive oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to the milk until it begins to boil.
- Combine the flour and eggs and stir in the flour. Add the milk and mix well. Place the mixture into a saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and whisk to avoid any lumps. Let cool, covered with plastic wrap placed directly onto the surface of the mixture.
- Dissolve the sugar into the wine.
- Place the sugar on a flat surface and make a well. Add the lard, wine, and salt. Knead well and form into a ball. Cut a cross into the top of the ball of dough, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder and divide into 12 pieces. Flatten each piece with a rolling pin to form round flat circles approximately 10 centimeters wide and 20 to 22 centimeters long.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in the middle of each circle. Dampen the edges with water and enclose the filling, pinching closed with the fingers or a fork. Set aside on a floured surface.
- Heat the oil at medium heat and fry, two at a time, until golden brown. Remove from the oil, place on paper towels to remove the excess oil, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories230Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.