These island-inspired chops are seasoned with tropical flavors, grilled and served with a generous spoonful of chunky relish. Stir some chopped coconut or cashews into hot rice for a suitable accompaniment.
- 4 pork chops (1 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons green olives (finely chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeno chile (seeded and minced*)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 15 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- In large self-sealing bag place vegetable oil, garlic, olives, jalapeno, thyme, allspice and lime juice; mix thoroughly and add pork chops. Seal bag and refrigerate 4-24 hours.
- For Relish: Heat olive oil in small sauté pan; sauté onion just until tender, about 4 minutes. In medium bowl stir together onion with black beans and remaining ingredients. Cover and let rest at room temperature for one hour to let flavors blend. Refrigerate for longer storage.
- Prepare medium-hot fire in kettle-style grill. Remove chops from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill chops for 12-16 minutes, turning once, until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by a 3-minute rest time. Serve with Black Bean Relish.