A soft and simple dough is stuffed with a flavorful mixture of pork and chicken in these steamed buns. These do take a little bit of patience and time to make, so this is the perfect project for a Saturday afternoon when you have plenty of time. The…
e make a delicious appetizer or if you want to serve them as dinner you can pair the steamed buns with sauteed vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 190 milliliters warm water (as needed)
- 200 grams wheat flour
- 200 grams rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 milliliters cold water (as needed)
- 200 grams minced pork
- 100 grams minced chicken
- 2 green onions
- 150 grams mushrooms (Nameko)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- sunflower oil
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- rice vinegar
- sesame seeds
- Dice green onions.
- Heat sunflower oil in a pan and sauté green onions and mushrooms,
- When onion is almost translucent, add garlic, ginger and ground meat.
- Use a spatula to scrape meat from sides of pan.
- Mixture should be very loose.
- When meat mixture is done, season with all the spices and set aside.
- Punch down dough to remove air.
- Divide the dough into portions, each about 30 grams (approximately 1 oz).
- Shape each portion into a ball and flatten with fingers.
- Place a little filling into each and pinch it closed, keeping round shape.
- Place buns on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a cotton cloth and let rise for about 20 minutes.
- Heat water in a steamer.
- Line the steam rack with parchment paper and place rolls in steamer.
- Steam for about 15-20 minutes or until surface is firm and begins to open slightly (like a bagel).
- For the sauce, mix all sauce ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (approximately 425°F).
- Place buns on a baking sheet lined with a non-stick silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve warm or cold with prepared sauce.