- 1 stick butter (no salt)
- 1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 sea salt (very small pinch, fine grain)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks
- 3 bananas (sliced thick)
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional)
- vanilla (or Coconut Ice Cream)
- You can use canned Pineapple for this recipe but a fresh Golden Pineapple tastes 100% better. If using fresh, remove the outer skin and eyes and cut Pineapple into large 1 inch chunks. Drain from the juice if canned and measure out 1 1/2 cups. Set aside. Here's how to peel a Pineapple safely.
- Place the Pineapple on it's side and slice off bottom to make a flat surface to stand it on. Then cut off the top prickly leaves.
- Stand the Pineapple up and carve the outer skin down all around. Remove any "eyes" that are left.
- Cut the Pineapple in half down the middle (longways) so that the core is exposed.
- Split each half into half again and then cut out the hard inner core and discard it.
- Cut each piece into inch chunks and place in a bowl to collect any juices.
- Over medium heat in a large pan, melt the Butter and Dark Brown Sugar, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Sea Salt, and Orange juice. Stir well until the Brown Sugar is melted, about 4 minutes. If using Rum, add it now and simmer 1 minute. Watch for flames in your pan!
- Add the Pineapple chunks and any juice that collected in the bowl and simmer for 4 minutes. The Sauce may begin to boil. Stir well.
- Slice the Bananas thick and fold them into the sauce. Carefully stir them in so they do not break up and simmer for just 2 minutes then remove from the heat and serve over Ice Cream or Pound Cake immediately. Cooking the Bananas too long will make them mushy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories740Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.