Consider this a "supercake," in the sense that is has an amazing number of superfoods that go into the batter, including plain yogurt, mashed bananas, toasted and ground walnuts, quinoa flour, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon, all of which are off the charts nutritionally speaking. Plus they all add up to one incomparably delicious dessert. The mashed bananas replace much of the usual oil in cake recipes, too, and the ground walnuts and quinoa flour replace much of the usual white flour. More walnuts and brown sugar (a healthier alternative to white) are sprinkled on the top of the cake before baking.
- 100 grams dark brown sugar
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 25 milliliters vegetable oil
- 35 grams plain yogurt
- 2 mashed banana
- 200 grams walnuts
- 100 grams quinoa flour
- 200 grams wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces
- brown sugar (to sprinkle)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Toast walnuts in a dry pan and grind them until they are crushed.
- In a bowl, mix sugar with eggs and oil and beat well with an electric mixer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add yogurt and mashed bananas and mix well.
- Add ground nuts, flour, baking powder, ginger, and cinnamon and fold mixture into batter.
- Place batter in prepared pan, smooth the surface and sprinkle with crushed walnut and sugar.
- Bake for about 60-70 minutes.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.