Bavaroise, also known as Bavarian Cream or Créme Bavaroise, is a cream based dessert that is sometimes flavoured with liqueur, thickened with gelatin, and best served cold. Featuring crushed bananas and a rich caramel flavor, this creamy bavaroise is made with greek yogurt and consequently has a beautifully smooth texture. Be sure to let the bavaroise set for at least one to two hours before serving. This recipe makes 4 individual sized servings. Eat as is or top with your favorite ice cream.
- 4 servings
- 40 grams brown sugar
- 1 bananas (very ripe)
- 100 milliliters milk
- 150 milliliters greek yogurt (natural)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 sheets gelatin
- ice cream (to serve)
- chocolate (melted, to serve)
- Heat a skillet over high heat.
- Add the sugar, and spread evenly. Reduce the heat to low, without stirring, until the sugar melts, and turns into a light golden caramel.
- It should take 5 to 8 minutes.
- Crush the banana to a smooth puree.
- Before the caramel gets too dark, add the banana puree, and beat until well blended.
- Add the milk, and 1/2 of the yogurt, and remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks.
- Put the banana caramel back on the stove on low heat, and add the eggs, mixing gently with a wooden spoon.
- Continue to stir over low heat, until the banana cream is thick enough to cover the spoon.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Soak the gelatin in water, or use 2 tablespoons of neutral gelatin powder.
- Add the gelatin to the banana cream, and whisk until dissolved (if you get a few strands of banana or too little liquid just put everything in the blender for a few seconds).
- Cover the surface of the cream with plastic wrap, to prevent a crust from forming, and refrigerate.
- When the cream is almost cold, stir it until smooth.
- Add the remaining yogurt and mix.
- Divide the mixture into 4 bowls, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours until firm.
- To serve, place a ball of ice cream on top on each bowl, and top with still warm, melted chocolate.