Banana Cake with Cardamom and Caramel IcingReceitas Da Felicidade!
Just the name of this recipe is incentive enough to get in the kitchen and get baking. Bananas have an affinity for warming spices, including the cardamom that's mixed into the batter and especially the cinnamon that's sprinkled over the layers of sliced bananas in assembling the cake. Be sure to buy ripe bananas for the best flavor and texture. Whisked egg whites give the batter loft, so you end up with airy cake and tender bananas in every slice. Serve at a leisurely brunch or as dessert -- anytime you are enjoying a cup of coffee, in other words.
- 4 eggs
- 200 grams softened butter
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 1 deciliter milk
- 250 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- caramels (liquid, to taste)
- 3 bananas (ripe, sliced)
- ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- 3In another bowl, beat the butter with sugar until mixture is light and whitish.
- 4In a small bowl, mix the egg yolks with the milk. Add to the butter and sugar mixture, beating constantly.
- 5Next, sift together the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Add to the butter mixture with the cardamom and stir until smooth.
- 6Add the whisked egg whites, folding them in gently.
- 7Coat a rectangular baking pan with caramel and line it with the sliced bananas.
- 8Sprinkle with cinnamon and pour in the batter.
- 9Add another layer of bananas.
- 10Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- 11To serve, cover the cake with a bit more caramel.