This banana bread is as close to the quintessential loaf as you can find, with mashed ripe bananas (the riper the better) imparting flavor and incredible moistness, and chopped walnuts lending welcome crunch and toasty flavor. What sets this recipe apart is that it calls for a pinch of fennel seeds in addition to ground cinnamon for the spice notes, and a bit of lemon juice to balance out the sweet factor. Bake, slice, and serve.
- 3 bananas (ripe)
- 200 grams sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 200 grams wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 200 grams walnuts (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Mash bananas with a fork.
- Mix sugar with butter, eggs and lemon juice.
- Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, a pinch of salt and a pinch of fennel.
- Stir in walnuts, mashed bananas and lemon juice.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from pan while still hot.
- Cool on a wire rack.