- 2 eggplant (mediums)
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 cup olive oil (optional)
- 1 pound ziti (or penne)
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 56 ounces tomatoes (whole)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (in strips)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Peel the eggplants. Cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices, sprinkle with salt and put in a colander to drain. Pat dry. Slice the zucchini.
- 2. In a skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and fry the eggplant and zucchini until browned on both sides. Take them out of the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Lowfat Variation: spray eggplant and zucchini with olive oil and bake at 450F until brown. about 15 mins.
- 3. Cook the ziti in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- 4. In a saucepan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Pour into the bowl with the drained ziti.
- 5. Rub two shallow baking pans with olive oil. In the first pan, put 1/4 of the ziti, then 1/4 of the eggplant and zucchini. Dot with butter, add 1/4 of the mozzarella and then 1/4 of the Parmesan. Repeat the layers in that pan and do the same in the second pan.
- 6. Bake one of the pans in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until the top is brown and crusty. Cover the other pan tightly with aluminum foil and freeze. Defrost before baking. Each pan will make 4 to 6 servings.
PER SERVING *
|Calories850Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Baked ZitiThe Amateur Gourmet
Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole in Tomato Sauce (Greek Briam)SocraticFood
Chicken Parmesan Baked ZitiAmerican Times Food
Zucchini and Eggplant Casseroledo it Delicious
Baked ZitiFood Network Canada
Baked Pasta Primavera CasseroleRagú
Layered Eggplant and Zucchini CasseroleOh She Glows
Julia Child's Ratatouille Eggplant CasseroleToday
Baked ZitiThe Pioneer Woman
Creamy Chicken Ziti CasseroleWho Needs A Cape
Baked ZitiAmazing Food Sensation
Eggplant and Zucchini CasseroleRecipesPlus
Eggplant and Zucchini CasseroleAllRecipes
Pepperoni Ziti CasseroleTaste of Home
Provençal Tian (Eggplant, Zucchini, Squash, and Tomato Casserole)Serious Eats
Baked ZitiGrits and Pinecones
Creamy Tuna casseroleHellmann's
Baked ZitiRed Gold Tomatoes
Spicy Smoky Ratatouille CasseroleTori Avey
Sausage Ziti CasseroleWho Needs A Cape
Baked ZitiFantastical Sharing of Recipes