- 2 eggplants (mediums)
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 cup olive oil (optional)
- 1 pound ziti (or penne)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 56 ounces tomatoes (whole)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (in strips)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Peel the eggplants. Cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices, sprinkle with salt and put in a colander to drain. Pat dry. Slice the zucchini.
- 2. In a skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and fry the eggplant and zucchini until browned on both sides. Take them out of the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Lowfat Variation: spray eggplant and zucchini with olive oil and bake at 450F until brown. about 15 mins.
- 3. Cook the ziti in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- 4. In a saucepan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Pour into the bowl with the drained ziti.
- 5. Rub two shallow baking pans with olive oil. In the first pan, put 1/4 of the ziti, then 1/4 of the eggplant and zucchini. Dot with butter, add 1/4 of the mozzarella and then 1/4 of the Parmesan. Repeat the layers in that pan and do the same in the second pan.
- 6. Bake one of the pans in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until the top is brown and crusty. Cover the other pan tightly with aluminum foil and freeze. Defrost before baking. Each pan will make 4 to 6 servings.
|Calories850Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.