- 1 teaspoon juniper berries (crushed)
- 4 sprigs rosemary needles (fresh, chopped)
- 1 Orange (zested)
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 3 pounds rump roast (boneless venison)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 pound shallots (trimmed, halved)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/4 pounds baking potatoes (peeled, chopped)
- 2 1/4 pounds celeriac (peeled, chopped)
- 2 1/4 pounds carrots (trimmed, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter (plus extra to serve)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with a little water until smooth)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- Combine juniper, rosemary, orange zest, lemon zest, allspice, peppercorns, salt and 4 tbsp sugar. Rub over venison then cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Roll up meat and secure using butcher's twine. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a roasting pan over high heat. Sear venison for 5-6 mins. Remove from pan and set aside. Add bouquet garni, onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 mins. Add tomato paste, 2 cups red wine and beef stock. Return venison to pan, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 45 mins, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Sauté shallots for 2-3 mins. Add 2 tbsp sugar and cook for 1-2 mins, until caramelized. Add remaining wine and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 20-30 mins.
- Cook potatoes and celeriac in boiling, salted water for 15-20 mins, until tender. Blanch carrots in a separate pot of boiling, salted water for 3-4 mins then drain and rinse under cold water until cool.
- Remove venison from roasting pan and wrap in foil to keep warm. Strain pan juices into a clean saucepan. Add cooking liquid from shallots and simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Drain potatoes and celeriac and mash with heavy cream and butter until smooth. Season and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in a saucepan. Sauté carrots for 2-3 mins. Add honey and nutmeg and season. Add shallots and cook for 3-4 mins. Add cornstarch slurry and simmer for 1-2 mins, until thickened.
- Slice venison then distribute between serving plates. Serve with mashed celeriac and vegetables on the side. Garnish with parsley and drizzle with gravy. Serve.