Here's an unusual dish that would make a wonderful addition to summer brunch or cocktail party, when zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes are in ample supply. Just a little smoked salmon goes a long way to lending depth of flavor, and here some salmon is stuffed inside the cored tomato and more distributed atop the assembled dish before baking. A drizzle of honey adds a touch of sweetness. Serve with crackers or rustic bread.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a dish with the stale bread.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water just to soften them.
- In a pan, saute the garlic, zucchini, and eggplant until golden brown.
- Place the sauted vegetables on a paper towel to drain the excess grease.
- Place some salmon inside the cored tomato.
- Place the quark cheese and tomato in the middle of the bread-lined dish. Season with salt and oregano.
- Garnish with grated cheese and asparagus.
- Arrange the zucchini, apple, eggplant, and peppers around tomato and quark cheese.
- Place strips of smoked salmon on top, to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and honey, and sprinkle with more oregano.
- Bake just until crispy.