In this gratin, the potatoes are first cooked in cream that has been flavored with various spices. This process helps to impart a ton of flavor into the potatoes, making for a great base for the recipe. Once cooked, the potatoes are layered with caramelized onions, delicate white fish, and grated cheese for a savory and filling meal. Serve it alongside a green salad or some steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
- 400 grams whitefish fillets (cut in 3 pieces)
- 2 packages cream (light)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (large, cut in thin slices)
- 4 potatoes (peeled, sliced thinly)
- 1 cup cheese (grated)
- 2 fresh thyme (twigs)
- Heat the cream, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and a pinch of salt in a pan on the stove.
- Just as it starts boiling, add the potatoes.
- Lower the temperature, and keep on low heat for a few minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the cream, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Celsius.
- In a frying pan with olive oil, place the onions, stirring constantly, until caramelized, for about 30 minutes. Near the end, add the fish pieces.
- In an ovenproof platter greased with butter, place a layer of potatoes.
- Top with caramelized onions and fish slivers, sprinkle with cheese, then top with the remaining potatoes.
- Strain the cream mixture, and drizzle over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and a few more thyme leaves. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat200|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.