Baked Ham with Sweet Mango and GingerPork
Tropical glaze gives baked ham a vibrant twist. Serve with snap peas and Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes.
- 7 pounds meat bones (in ham, with natural juices)
- 2 cups mango nectar (or juice)
- 1 1/2 cups jam (mango, OR apricot jam)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (light)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger root (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1Let the ham stand at room temperature for 90 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Set the rack at the lowest position. Rinse and pat dry the ham. Using a sharp knife, score the skin of the ham in a criss-cross pattern. Place ham on oven-safe skillet with high sides or a large pot or Dutch Oven. Pour the mango juice into the pan, and add additional water if necessary to bring the liquid level to 1/2 inch. Cover the pan tightly with tin foil. Roast in oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (about 15 minutes per pound) or until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 100 degrees F.
- 3While the ham is cooking, prepare the glaze. Combine the mango jam, brown sugar, ginger and cloves in a small sauce pot and cook over low heat until the glaze is thick and sticky. Turn off heat and set aside
- 4Take the ham out of the over when it reaches the first internal temperature of 100 degrees F. Turn the oven to 425 degrees F. Brush the ham with about 1/4 of the glaze all over. You should have some mango juice in the pan, if not, add additional mango juice or water to reach 1/4 inch. Once the oven comes to temperature, return the ham, uncovered to oven. Bake for 15 minutes until the liquid is bubbly and the ham has turned to a nice, deep golden brown. The internal temperature of the ham should be 140 degrees F.
- 5Remove ham to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes. Return the remaining glaze to the stove on medium-low heat. Your roasting pan should have some mango juice left - carefully pour about 1/2 cup of the mango pan juice into the glaze. Whisk and adjust with either more juice or mango jam to create a beautiful, slightly thick glaze for serving.
- 6Carve the ham and serve with the Mango-Ginger Glaze.
PER SERVING *
|Calories170Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.