How to make grilled cheese for a crowd: Layer buttered sliced bread in a large baking sheet with ham and cheese and more bread on top to cover, and repeat. Bathe the whole thing with milk whisked with eggs and seasoned with pepper and tuck into a hot oven to get all toasty and melty and indescribably delectable. It makes a perfect dish to serve to friends at brunch, or even a family supper on a busy weeknight.
- 1 loaf bread
- 250 grams ham
- 250 grams cheese
- 0.25 liters milk
- 2 eggs
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F.
- Grease and flour a rectangular or square baking dish.
- Add a layer of buttered bread to the dish, cover with a layer of ham and cheese, and cover with another layer of bread.
- Keep layering until ingredients have been used.
- The final layer should be bread. In a bowl, thoroughly whisk milk with the eggs and season with pepper to taste.
- Pour egg mixture over final bread layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs are cooked and bread is toasted.