First the hake is sprinkled with fresh lemon juice and drizzled with olive oil, then topped with grated carrots, olives, diced bacon, and cheese, and finally doused in cream before it is placed in a preheated oven to bake. All those companion ingredients help to keep the fish moist during baking and infuse the mild tasting hake with much flavor, and the cheese becomes wonderfully browned in spots. Round out the meal with mashed potatoes, if desired.
- 2 packages hake medallions (800 grams)
- 2 medium carrots (grated)
- 1/3 slice bacon (cubed)
- olives (to taste)
- 1 container cream (200 ml)
- cheese (for example: mozzarella)
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180-200ºC.
- In a baking pan, place the thawed hake medallions and season with salt, juice of half a lemon and a drizzle of olive oil. (Tip: If the medallions are still frozen, season and place in the oven for 10 minutes to thaw. Drain accumulated juices and continue with the rest of the recipe).
- Place the grated carrot over the medallions. Drizzle with the cream. Sprinkle with the olives and the bacon cubes.
- Top with cheese. Bake in a hot oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven when lightly browned. Serve with mashed potatoes.