A healthy way to start your morning with Canadian bacon in this baked egg dish. Serve with whole grain toast and juice.
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon (chopped)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup potato wedges (refrigerated red, no-oil added, cubed)
- 1 plum tomatoes (small, seeded and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons nonfat half-and-half
- 4 teaspoons swiss cheese (OR Gruyere or white Cheddar cheese, finely shredded, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat inside of four 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups/ramekins with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine Canadian bacon, potatoes, tomato and chives in a medium bowl. Spoon mixture evenly in ramekins.
- Break egg into each ramekin on top of the Canadian bacon mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of half-and-half over each egg. Place ramekins on baking sheet.
- Bake in heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until egg whites are opaque and yolks have firm edges but soft in centers. Remove from oven.
- If desired, sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon cheese. Serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings
- * For a Southwest twist, toss the Canadian bacon mixture with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder before spooning it into the ramekins.