- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter (cut into pieces)
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla pudding powder
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 cups milk
- To make the crust, sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl with 1/3 cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Break in the egg, then add 3/4 cup butter. Mix in a food processor to create a dough, then knead with hands until the pastry is smooth. Roll into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Take two-thirds of the pastry dough and roll it out on a floured work surface to make an 11 inch circle. Grease an 11 inch springform cake pan and carefully lift the pastry into the bottom. Roll the rest of the pastry out into 2 long sausage shapes. Press these into the pastry bottom and onto the sides of the cake tin to create the sides of the crust, ensuring that the crust is sealed where the pastry pieces join.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a small saucepan and leave to cool a little. Separate the remaining 3 eggs, and refrigerate the egg whites. Put the cheese, egg yolks, 3/4 cup of sugar and the pudding powder in a large mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth and the cottage cheese has broken down. Stir in the lemon juice and the melted butter, then the milk, whisking. Pour the filling into the crust and bake on the bottom rack for 60-70 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the meringue topping: Whisk the cold egg whites until stiff. Gradually add 3/4 cup of sugar, whisking constantly, until the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Remove the cake from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 300°F. Spread the meringue over the top of the cake. Return the cake to the oven and bake for another 15-20 mins.
- Remove cake from the oven and use a skewer to pierce the meringue in a dozen or so places. As the meringue cools, golden droplets should form. Serve the cake when it has cooled.
PER SERVING *
|Calories350Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.