Here's another take on the ever popular Portguese dish that makes good use of two of that country's staples: salted cod and potatoes. This is perhaps one of the most basic versions of the gratin, with just garlic and onions added to the baking dish and the fish and cod being boiled or sauteed ahead of time. Fresh cilantro and olive oil is sprinkled generously over the top of the assembled dish before going into the oven.
- 3 slices codfish (unsalted)
- 1 kilogram new potatoes
- 2 onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- cilantro sprigs
- olive oil (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F.
- Tip: Cook cod and potatoes ahead of time to save time.
- In a pan, cook frozen fish in boiling, salted water for about 3 minutes.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise but do not cut potato all the way through.
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water for about 5 minutes in a separate pan.
- Cut onion in thin slices and line the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place cod in the center of baking dish.
- Arrange potato slices around the fish.
- Season with salt.
- Slice garlic cloves.
- Place sliced garlic and chopped cilantro evenly over the potatoes and codfish.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil and bake in preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.