Baked Codfish with PotatoesAs receitas lá de casa
Here's another take on the ever popular Portguese dish that makes good use of two of that country's staples: salted cod and potatoes. This is perhaps one of the most basic versions of the gratin, with just garlic and onions added to the baking dish and the fish and cod being boiled or sauteed ahead of time. Fresh cilantro and olive oil is sprinkled generously over the top of the assembled dish before going into the oven.
- 3 slices codfish (unsalted)
- 1 kilogram new potatoes
- 2 onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- cilantro sprigs
- olive oil (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F.
- 2Tip: Cook cod and potatoes ahead of time to save time.
- 3In a pan, cook frozen fish in boiling, salted water for about 3 minutes.
- 4Halve potatoes lengthwise but do not cut potato all the way through.
- 5Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water for about 5 minutes in a separate pan.
- 6Cut onion in thin slices and line the bottom of the baking dish.
- 7Place cod in the center of baking dish.
- 8Arrange potato slices around the fish.
- 9Season with salt.
- 10Slice garlic cloves.
- 11Place sliced garlic and chopped cilantro evenly over the potatoes and codfish.
- 12Drizzle generously with olive oil and bake in preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.