Puddings can be savory as well as sweet (corn pudding is a well known example). After all, what makes a pudding a pudding is the custard base that's made with eggs. Only here some of the eggs are hard boiled, then chopped and mixed with the other ingredients, including bread that's been soaked briefly in milk and used to add body (as in bread pudding). The savory flavor is provided by salted cod and shrimp. Serve the dish warm from the oven, accompanied by a hearty salad.
- 6 eggs
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and sliced)
- 1 onions (sliced)
- 400 grams unsalted cod (cleaned and shredded)
- 2 slices bread (crust removed)
- 150 grams shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 4 teaspoons black olives (pitted and sliced)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place 3 eggs in a saucepan and cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 11 minutes.
- Remove eggs from pan and let cool. Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet and sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add cod and fry.
- Add shrimp and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- After about 21/2 minutes, turn shrimp over.
- Remove from heat. In a bowl, beat 3 eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggs to codfish and shrimp mixture and stir to combine.
- Peel 3 boiled eggs, coarsely chop and add to fish mixture.
- Soak bread in milk. Add bread and olives to fish mixture.
- Mix gently and pour into a loaf pan greased with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until well browned.
- Serve warm with a hearty salad.