- 1/2 cup sugar (+ 2 tbsp)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 yolks
- 3 large eggs
- 4 pears (medium)
- 2 tablespoons butter (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat, without boiling, until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the sugar water to a boil, uncovered, without stirring, until it becomes a golden caramel color.
- Remove from the heat. Gradually whisk in the cream and milk. Return to the heat to melt any undissolved caramel.
- Using a balloon whisk, lightly beat the whole egg and egg yolks in a medium bowl until combined, then gradually whisk in the cream mixture. Strain the custard into a medium sized bowl.
- Place four 1/2 cup heatproof dishes or ramekins in a deep-sided baking tray and pour the custard into the dishes. Pour enough boiling water into the baking tray to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake in the oven for 35 mins or until the custard is just set.
- Remove the custards from the baking tray and increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
- Slice the unpeeled pears lengthwise. Place on a large, greased baking sheet. Dot with butter and sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 15 mins, then turn the pears over, sprinkle with remaining sugar and bake for another 15 mins or until browned and tender.
- Serve the caramel custards in the ramekins with the roasted pears on the side.
|Calories600Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.