Bagels are hearty and a tasty treat any time of the day. Bialy’s are similar to bagels yet they don’t have a hole in the middle. This recipe for Bagels Cousins Bialys are rich and flavorful. They take 105 minutes to prepare, so make sure you have the time to create these treats. The aromatic treats will tantalize the taste buds and bring the family together. Make sure to share them with friends and family.
- 400 grams bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast (instant)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 280 milliliters water (lukewarm)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- ground black pepper (freshly)
- In a large bowl, pour in the flour, yeast, and salt. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and about 200 milliliters of water.
- Start kneading and continue adding water as needed until a firm ball that is no longer sticky has formed. This process should take about 10 minutes and can be done either by hand or with a stand mixer.
- Grease another bowl and put the dough in it. Leave covered in a warm place for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Once doubled, pour the dough out onto a heavily floured surface and divide it into 6 portions of the same weight. Roll each portion into a ball and bring the sides towards the middle, poking in with your fingers to seal it.
- Place the dough balls sealed side down on a baking tray covered with parchment paper, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Separately, in a small saucepan with a little oil, saute the onions and poppy seeds together until softened and translucent. Lightly salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen again, lightly flatten each bialys and make an indentation in the middle with your fingers. Be careful not to poke all the way through the dough.
- Fill the indentation with the onion and poppy seed mixture. Baste the unfilled part of the dough with a little olive oil.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories340Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.