Once in a while you will find a recipe that stands the test of time for decadence and pure bliss. This recipe for Bagels is one to keep on hand for any holiday, special occasion or celebration. With the richness and delicious taste, this recipe is full of flavor. it is a little bit of heaven in each bite. The hardest part of this delicious recipe, is deciding who will get to enjoy the other corners with you. Make a batch this weekend.
- 300 grams bread flour
- 200 grams white rye flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 15 grams fresh yeast
- 250 milliliters warm water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 beaten eggs (medium)
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- black sesame seeds (or White)
- Place flour and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Crumble yeast in a small bowl, adding a little water and honey.
- Stir until yeast is dissolved. Add yeast mixture, remaining water, egg and oil to flour mixture.
- Mix well until dough is soft and pliable.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, knead dough for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1.5 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough to remove air and divide into 12 equal portions.
- Shape into balls and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Flatten the balls slightly with fingers and slowly open a hole in the center.
- Place on baking tray with plenty of space between each bagel. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- Carefully lower 2-3 bagels at a time into a large pot of boiling water.
- Boil on each side for 30 seconds and carefully remove from pot.
- Repeat steps to boil all bagels.
- Place boiled bagels on baking sheet and sprinkle with desired topping while wet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.