- 10 slices bacon (crispy cooked and crumbled)
- 4 roma tomatoes (plum, seeded and chopped, about 1 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup lettuce (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 16 ounces french bread (cut in 1/4-inch slices)
- 1/3 cup blue cheese (OR feta cheese, crumbled, optional)
- In medium bowl, stir together all topping ingredients; set aside. Brush olive oil on both sides of bread slices; place on baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F., turning once, for 7 minutes per side or until crisp and golden brown; cool. Spoon about 1 tablespoon topping on each toast round.*
- Makes about 24 appetizers.
- * Or, serve topping in a small bowl, surrounded by the toast rounds.
- Tailgate Tip: Prepare and refrigerate topping ingredients and bake toast rounds ahead of time. For best flavor, stir together topping ingredients just before serving.