Bacon and Sweet Potato Biscuits with Smoky Honey ButterPork
If you’d like, you can substitute the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt for 3 cups biscuit mix. Split biscuits in half horizontally and add sliced ham for a savory sandwich.
- 2 slices bacon (cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips)
- 1 sweet potatoes (medium orange-fleshed, OR 2 small sweet potatoes, 14-16 ounces total, peeled)
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (is okay)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1Wrap the sweet potato with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until very soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, mash with a potato masher, and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, then set aside to cool. Carefully set aside 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from the skillet.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and allspice and pulse a few times. Add the cubed butter and pulse to make a coarse meal with a few pea-sized pieces. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and gently mix in the bacon, buttermilk, and 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato (save any remaining potato for another use).
- 4Transfer mixture to a floured work surface and knead a few times to form a dough. Pat the dough to about 1-inch thick, then gently fold in half. Gently repeat 4 more times. Roll the dough out to 3/4-inch thick, then use a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to cut dough into biscuits, arranging them on the prepared baking sheet. Gather the scraps and repeat to make a total of 12 biscuits. Bake until the biscuits are browned and a tester comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, combine the softened butter, honey, and reserved bacon drippings, mixing until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- 6Serve the biscuits with the honey butter on the side.
PER SERVING *
|Calories270Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.