- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese (extra-sharp, finely grated)
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a skillet, fry the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, drain on paper towels, and crumble finely.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat into a stove-top popcorn popper or deep, heavy saucepan with a lid, add vegetable oil, and heat over moderately high heat until the mixture begins to smoke. Add the popcorn, cover, and shake the pan until the popping stops. Pour the popcorn into a large ovenproof pot, add the cheese, bacon, and salt, and toss. Heat in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.