Although Chef Tim Graham’s creation is more than incredible as is, if you’re inspired to make it your own, try changing the types of nuts, omitting the cocoa nibs, or adding a sprinkle of cinnamon or cardamom.
- 1 pound sliced bacon (cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips)
- 1 1/4 cups butter (2 1/2 sticks)
- 1 2/3 cups hazelnuts (chopped)
- 2/3 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 40 phyllo dough (9x14-inch sheets, about 1 1-pound package, thawed)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate-hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- 3/4 cup cocoa nibs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisped, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a strainer set over a bowl, separating the cooked bacon from the bacon fat. Set both aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange the hazelnuts and walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until toasted and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool (leave the oven on).
- Also while the bacon is cooking, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Set aside.