I remember eating out at Mexican restaurants and getting taquitos. Yummm, all that flavor in a little tortilla cigar. After we went vegan I could find them in the store every now and then, but it was rare. I came across this recipe on the web (of co…
rse I can't find the site of the original recipe). I decided to heat the tortillas in a cast iron skillet to make soft instead of frying them in oil Oh, they are so much lighter. I also added cheese inside. I think you'll love this version. Taquitos are typically an appetizer, but we had these for a light dinner.
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 package Tofurky BBQ Style Chick'n, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- Garnish: Sour cream, guacamole, salsa
- Preheat oven to 425. In a small bowl combine green onions, chick'n and cheddar. Mix well. Heat tortillas in a cast iron skillet for 15-20 seconds per side until pliable. Roll about 2 tablespoons filling, in each warmed tortilla. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Lightly spray with oil. (I wrap my pan in aluminum foil to make clean up a snap.) I also cooked these in my toaster oven since it's so freaking hot right now. I didn't want to turn on the oven. Bake until crispy, about 12-15 minutes. Serve warm with garnishes. Enjoy!