- 6 gherkins (/pickled cucumbers, finely diced)
- 3 onions (2 finely diced, 1 sliced into rings)
- 50 milliliters fruit vinegar
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 1 chilli pepper (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 200 grams tomato ketchup
- 50 milliliters coffee (black)
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 bunch chives (cut into fine rings)
- 2 tablespoons salad cream
- 400 grams minced beef
- 2 tablespoons mustard (coarse)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 50 grams salad leaves (soft, washed and drained)
- 4 hamburger buns (with sesame seeds)
- In a saucepan bring the pickles, onions, vinegar (saving 1 tbsp for the sauce) and 1/4 cup of sugar to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the chili. Put in the fridge.
- For the BBQ sauce, bring the ketchup, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp vinegar, coffee, whiskey and honey to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring for about 10 minutes. Put in the fridge.
- Add the chives to the mayonnaise, stir and season to taste with salt and pepper. For the burgers, mix together the beef, mustard and onion and season well with salt and pepper and shape into patties. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the burgers for approx. 6 mins turning, frequently. Remove burgers and keep warm.
- In the frying fat, softly fry the onion rings and season to taste. Halve the buns and spread the upper halves with the salad cream and chives. On the bottom half of the buns, layer the BBQ sauce, salad, burger and relish. Serve with potato wedges and the rest of the BBQ sauce.
|Calories660Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.