Serve along with Chile-Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops.
- 1 1/4 cups corn (cut from 2 large ears sweet corn, OR 1 10-oz can vacum-packed corn kernels)
- 3/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper (diced, about half of 1 large pepper)
- 2 avocados (very firm but ripe; pitted, peeled and chopped)
- 1/3 cup lime juice (fresh)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano (OR fresh cilantro, chopped)
- Place corn in kitchen strainer; pour boiling water over and let drain (if using canned corn, delete this step). In large bowl, toss onion with vinegar; add drained corn, bell pepper and avocado. In medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, oil, hot pepper sauce, garlic, sugar, salt and black pepper; pour over corn mixture and toss very gently. Add oregano (or cilantro), stir once, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary and set aside.