Autumn Brined Pork TenderloinPORK
To assemble plate: Assemble the plate by laying a few spoons of the mostarda then top with sliced pork tenderloin. Garnish with mustard seeds and red ribbon sorrel (optional)…
Serve with Smoked Acorn Squash and Barley Risotto.
Recipe courtesy of Adam Wells Morgan, Missouri
- 2 lb. pork tenderloins (1 pound each, trimmed)
- 3 cups hard apple cider (or apple cider)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider mulling spice blend
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp. rendered bacon fat (or olive oil)
- 1 cup yellow mustard seed
- 1 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 6 whole Honeycrisp apples (cored, peeled and diced into large)
- 4 cups white wine (or white grape juice)
- 1/4 cup shallots (minced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 tsp. salt
- 2 red chilies (dried)
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup mustard powder
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- olive oil (for roasting apples)
- Make Pork Tenderloin Brine: In a large sauce pan combine 3 cup hard cider, 2 cup water, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup cider mulling spice blend and 1/4 cup salt, bringing to a boil to create brine. Remove from heat and chill brine in the refrigerator until cold, then add the 2 sprigs rosemary and 4 bay leaves. Put tenderloins in a self-sealing plastic bag, pour in brine, and seal bag.Allow the pork to brine for a minimum of 6 hours but no more than 12.
- Make Pickled Mustard Seeds: Combine all ingredients (1 cup yellow mustard seed, 1 cup white balsamic, 3/4 cup water, 1/2 cup white wine, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 Tbs kosher salt) together in a medium non-reactive sauce pot and cook at a slow simmer until mustard seeds are just tender.Place in glass canning jar and refrigerate.
- While pork is brining, make Roasted Apple and Pickled Mustard Seed Mostarda: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss apples with enough olive oil to coat and roast in the oven until well browned and fork tender. Once apples are roasted, combine apples with remaining ingredients (4 cups white wine, 1/4 cup shallot, 2 bay leaves, 1 1/4 cup sugar, 5 tsp salt, 2 dried chilies, 1/2 cup sherry, 1/2 cup mustard powder, 1/2 Dijon) excluding the pickled mustard seeds in a sauce pot and simmer until the liquid is reduced by at least half and has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup pickled mustards seeds. Set aside until chilled.
- Make the Pork Tenderloin: Remove tenderloins from brine and using paper towels, pat dry. Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside for at least 15 minutes, up to an hour.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Sear pork in bacon fat turning every minute or so until the internal temperature reaches between 145 degrees F. (medium rare) and 160 degrees F. (medium), on a meat thermometer. Remove from heat and tent lightly with foil and allow to rest during plate assembly.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes