Austrian Quark Cheese Cake Flavored with Orange ZestsOn dine chez Nanou
Go international and experience Austria! This cake combines the tartness of orange zest with the smoothness of cheese in a rich cake. This makes a great companion for coffee for a mid-morning snack when hunger strikes. Serve with a light dusting of powered sugar, or with jam and jelly.
- 5 eggs
- 240 grams butter (soft)
- 220 grams superfine sugar
- 7 1/2 grams vanilla sugar
- 250 grams cream quark (with 20% fat, "Topfen")
- 1 orange zest
- 270 grams flour
- 30 grams corn starch
- 11 grams baking powder
- 1Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- 2Separate the eggs.
- 3Beat egg whites until firm. Set aside.
- 4In a large bowl (or food processor bowl), place softened butter and whisk with the sugar and vanilla sugar to obtain a creamy texture.
- 5Add the egg yolks and continue to mix.
- 6Stir in the Quark cheese gradually, then the orange zest.
- 7Add the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Mix using a wooden spoon.
- 8You will get a dense mixture. Gently mix the stiff egg whites in the preparation, while lifting the mass with a spatula.
- 9Pour into a buttered "gugelhupf" or kougelhopf pan.
- 10Bake for 60 minutes.
- 11Test doneness using a knife blade (which should come out clean) because the cake is quite tall.
- 12Wait 5 minutes before turning it out onto a rack to cool.
- 13Sprinkle with icing sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.