Vanillekipferl are a classic Christmas cookie baked in every household throughout Austria and Germany during the month of December. Lightly flavored with vanilla sugar, the Vanillekipferl are made from a combination of ground almonds and flour for a cookie with a close shortbread like texture. Refrigerate the dough before shaping so that the cookies do not lose their shape in the oven. Coated with powdered sugar for an elegant finish, these crescent shaped cookies sure to become a household Christmastime favorite.
- 140 grams flour
- 30 grams sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 grams ground almonds
- 90 grams butter (cold, cut into pieces)
- 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- To prepare with a food mixer, place all the ingredients into the food mixer and blend together until they form a dough ball. (Add a drop of milk if necessary).
- To prepare by hand, in a large bowl, add all the ingredients except the egg yolk.
- Rub together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and work the dough into a ball. (Add a drop of milk if necessary).
- Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Cut a piece of dough of about 10 or 12 grams. Knead gently and roll into a sausage. Lightly press the ends so that they are pointed.
- Shape into crescent moons and place on the baking tray.
- Repeat this action with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 12–14 minutes. Take care not to burn.
- Leave to rest a few minutes before removing from the baking tray.
- Coat in vanilla sugar.
- Store in a metal container for up to 2 weeks.
PER SERVING *
|Calories430Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.