First of the Season Asparagus Soup Garnished with Shredded Hard Boiled Egg.
- 2 pounds asparagus (trimmed, save a couple of tips to mince for garnish later)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 leeks (medium, white and light green parts only, sliced into small ribbons)
- 1/2 onions (large, sliced thinly)
- 1 shallot (small, minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 7 cups water (asparagus)
- 3 hard boiled eggs (figure ½ egg per bowl of soup)
- 3 asparagus tips (minced)
- Bring about 8 cups of water to a boil. Add asparagus and boil for 4 minutes. In the meantime, prepare an ice bath. Remove asparagus and place in bath. Save 6 to 7 cups of the asparagus water and set aside in a separate bowl, this will be your broth.
- In the same soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Then add leeks, onions and shallots, season with salt and pepper and stir until everything has been coated. Cover the pot and simmer about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (You want heat low enough to have mixture soft in texture but have no color). Add in garlic; stirring constantly about one minute. Remove the cover, add asparagus water and simmer another 10 minutes. Toss in the asparagus and cook another 5 minutes uncovered.
- Next puree soup, if you use a blender you will want to do this step in batches or use an immersion blender. I used the later and loved the little bits left here and there.
- To serve: Add ½ shredded egg to each bowl, scoop in soup, place asparagus tips on top for garnish. Enjoy.
|Calories220Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.