Asparagus And Sausage RisottoHILLSHIRE FARM
When cooking for the family — or even entertaining a large gathering — you need to have a few recipes in your back pocket that can feed a lot of mouths. Some of those recipes might be meatloaf, baked chicken or pasta, primarily due to the fact that they’re so easy to make in large batches all at one time. On the other hand, baked chicken and meatloaf are pretty bland and boring dishes. Also, almost anyone can make them. If you’re looking for something truly unique and delicious, this asparagus and sausage risotto is extremely easy to make and is already a huge crowd pleaser…
First off, you should know that risotto is a dish that originated in northern Italy. To make it, you just combine broth and arborio rice and then stir the mixture as it simmers and forms a creamy consistency. The great thing about risotto is that you can use almost any kind of broth base you want — including vegetarian vegetable broth, chicken, beef or fish broth.
In our recipe, we suggest using reduced-sodium chicken broth, which pairs well with crispy, Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage and asparagus, onions, mushrooms, and dry white wine. Smoked Sausage from Hillshire Farm® is made using choice cuts of chicken, beef and pork, plus traditional seasonings. For variety, you can use Cheddarwurst Smoked Sausage, Chicken Smoked Sausage Roasted Garlic, or any number of other Hillshire Farm® sausages.
- Cut sausage into ½” cubes; set aside. Bring broth to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to low to keep broth hot.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage, onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned.
- Add butter and rice. Cook, stirring constantly 2 minutes. Stir in wine; cook until liquid has almost completely absorbed.
- Stir in ½ cup of heated chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total).
- Remove from heat; stir in asparagus, 1/3 cup of Parmesan and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
|Calories370Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.