- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 2 inches fresh ginger (piece)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 9 ounces egg noodles (dried thin)
- 12 medium shrimp (washed thoroughly, peeled and deveined)
- 1 bunch mustard greens (or other greens)
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- cilantro leaves (to serve)
- In a large pot, bring the stock and water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and poach for 10-12 mins until cooked. Remove the chicken from the stock, set aside and keep warm.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and mushrooms to the stock. Simmer for 10 mins until the mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile boil a full kettle of water. Place the noodles in bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5-8 min, or until just tender. Use a fork to gently separate, then drain and rinse under cold water.
- Add the shrimp to the stock and cook for 1 min, Stir in the greens and simmer for about 2 mins until wilted.
- To serve, place a nest of noodles in each serving bowl. Ladle the broth over the top, straining out the ginger and garlic. Slice the chicken and place on top of the noodles. Top with bean sprouts, green onions and cilantro leaves.