Sun-dried tomatoes are a great source of umami, that sixth flavor that provides depth to everything, plus they have a chewy texture that enhances salads and other dishes, including the topping for bruschetta in this recipe. The tomatoes are tossed with arugula, fresh mozzarella, and basil olive oil made by blending fresh basil and oil and which would also be great drizzled over sliced ripe tomatoes or peaches, or grilled fish or chicken.
- 3 slices bread (homemade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 mozzarella (ball)
- 4 sun dried tomatoes
- basil leaves (to taste)
- olive oil (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 310 F.
- Brush the bread slices with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.
- Toast in the oven until golden.
- Rub the hot bread slices with garlic, or mince the garlic and spread on bread.
- Add the arugula, sliced mozzarella, and dried tomatoes cut in strips.
- Finish with a drizzle of basil olive oil.
- To make the basil olive oil, grind a few basil leaves, olive oil and a pinch of salt in the blender.