This delightful Florentine Carnival cake is a sweet flatbread built from a yeasted dough, one that incorporates honey, vanilla, orange juice and orange zest. It's also enriched with lard. During Carnival season, this cake appears at bakeries, pastry shops and bars throughout Florence. Some are filled with whipped cream, chocolate or custard; most are showered with powdered sugar. The dough needs about two hours to rise, so plan accordingly.
- 1 sheet pastry dough
- 400 grams artichokes
- 1 shallots
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams soft cheese
- 100 grams mozzarella cheese
- 150 milliliters heavy cream
- 50 grams parmesan cheese
- 100 grams pancetta
- 1 garlic cloves
- 5 ounces white wine
- extra-virgin olive oil
- ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare the artichokes and cut them into quarters.
- Coarsely chop the garlic and the shallot and sauté them in a non-stick pan with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the artichokes and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the wine and allow it to evaporate completely.
- Once cooked, season to taste with salt.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the heavy cream, the Parmesan cheese, and the robiola. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the sheet of puff pastry in a parchment paper-lined pie plate.
- Place the artichokes, the scamorza cubes, the pancetta bacon cubes and the egg and cheese mixture in the pie plate.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the quiche to rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve the quiche warm.
PER SERVING *
|Calories550Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat350|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.