Arsenio’s Buttery Bica (Galician Cake)El invitado de invierno
Hailing from the Galicia region of Spain, this recipe for Arsenio's Butter Bica (Galician Cake) is a sweet and flavorful cake that can be served alongside a morning cup of coffee or as an afternoon treat. Made with cornmeal, this Galician cake is a yeasted cake with a texture that is light and fluffy. As it is a yeasted dough, you will need to mix the yeast with flour, salt, and water and let sit for two hours prior to preparing the rest of the cake batter. Serve sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
- 180 grams butter
- 450 grams sugar
- 8 eggs
- 250 grams cornmeal
- 250 grams cornmeal (mixture of half, and half wheat flour)
- 1 lemon
- 700 grams cornmeal (mixture of half, and half wheat flour)
- 450 grams water (at room temperature)
- 1 envelope yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat the oven to 190 Celsius.
- 2Make the dough by combining the yeast with the 700 gr. flour mixture. Combine the salt with the water. Make a well in the flour mixture and fill with the salt water. Form into a ball and place into an oiled bowl, covered, for approximately 2 hours.
- 3Make the bica by creaming the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs along with the zest and mix well.
- 4Add the dough little by little and then the flour mixture.
- 5Place into a square or rectangular greased and floured baking pan.
- 6Bake for 30 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove form oven, let cool slightly, and remove from pan.
- 7Cut into squares and serve sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon
PER SERVING *
|Calories2120Calories from Fat550|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat550|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.