Aromatic Herb BreadL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Bread and wheat flour combine to make this simple, fragrant, savory bread. Baked in a ring pan, it's specked with garlic, fresh basil, parsley, rosemary and thyme, though you can substitute these herbs with whatever ones you have on hand. Serve it warm spread with butter or dipped in a bowl of Parmesan and black pepper-laden olive oil.
- 25 grams yeast
- 370 grams water
- 500 grams bread flour
- 150 grams whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1In a bowl, dissolve the yeast with half of the water.
- 2Add some of both flours, and then add the basil, parsley, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oil, and salt.
- 3Add the remaining flour and water and stir until the flour is mixed well and a dough forms. Dough should be smooth, but not sticky.
- 4Turn out the dough on to a floured surface and knead until soft and pliable.
- 5Place in a bowl, brush with oil, cover and leave to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Turn out on to a floured surface, knead again briefly, and form into a loaf shape.
- 7Place in a lightly greased ring pan and join the ends to form a ring.
- 8Allow to rise for about 45 minutes.
- 9Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 10Gently brush with dough's surface with water and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 180 C and bake for 15 minutes.
- 11Remove from oven and the bread from the mold. Place a rack on a baking sheet and place the bread on the rack. Put the bread back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- 12Take the bread out of the oven.
- 13Cut into slices and serve warm.
PER SERVING *
|Calories660Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.