Bread and wheat flour combine to make this simple, fragrant, savory bread. Baked in a ring pan, it's specked with garlic, fresh basil, parsley, rosemary and thyme, though you can substitute these herbs with whatever ones you have on hand. Serve it warm spread with butter or dipped in a bowl of Parmesan and black pepper-laden olive oil.
- 25 grams yeast
- 370 grams water
- 500 grams bread flour
- 150 grams whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast with half of the water.
- Add some of both flours, and then add the basil, parsley, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oil, and salt.
- Add the remaining flour and water and stir until the flour is mixed well and a dough forms. Dough should be smooth, but not sticky.
- Turn out the dough on to a floured surface and knead until soft and pliable.
- Place in a bowl, brush with oil, cover and leave to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn out on to a floured surface, knead again briefly, and form into a loaf shape.
- Place in a lightly greased ring pan and join the ends to form a ring.
- Allow to rise for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Gently brush with dough's surface with water and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 180 C and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and the bread from the mold. Place a rack on a baking sheet and place the bread on the rack. Put the bread back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the oven.
- Cut into slices and serve warm.
PER SERVING *
|Calories660Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.