Apulian Focaccia BreadL'Antro dell'Alchimista
This focaccia hails from the Apulia region in Southern Italy and features cherry tomatoes, pitted, sliced black olives and oregano. Meanwhile, he dough contains durum wheat, brewer's yeast and potatoes. Once it's rolled out, has risen and gets topped it's popped into the oven for a half-hour at most; then, it's served warm and crusty. Consider topping it with whatever is at it's seasonal best since this is a versatile recipe.
- 80 grams all-purpose flour
- 60 grams water
- 1 gram yeast (brewer’s)
- 500 grams durum wheat flour
- 350 grams water
- 250 grams potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- 30 grams extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 10 grams salt
- cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- olives (Black pitted)
- extra-virgin olive oil (to grease the baking sheet)
- 1Knead the flour, the water, and the yeast together in a bowl, cover and let rise for 18 to 24 hours.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the yeast with the starter and half of the water, add some flour and the salt, and begin kneading.
- 3Add the potatoes and the oil, then the remaining flour and water alternating, combine vigorously (until bubbles form in the dough, these bubbles should pop easily) for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. The dough should be very soft. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- 4Pour some oil in each of two baking sheets and spread it to coat well.
- 5Divide the dough into two parts and knead each part very well. Place the dough in the baking sheet, spread it out completely and let it rise for approximately 2 hours.
- 6Place the tomatoes and the olives all over the dough, sprinkle the dough with salt, oregano, and drizzle with oil. Let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- 7Preheat the oven to 230C.
- 8Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 9Remove the bread from the oven and serve warm.
PER SERVING *
|Calories670Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.