Apricots and strawberries are a delicious combination in this simple jam. A touch of vanilla perfectly complements the flavors of both fruits. Make this jam in the summer when apricots and strawberries are at their freshest, that way you will be able to enjoy the flavors of summer in the dead of winter. The brown sugar in this jam adds a slight caramel flavor, making for a rich and decadent treat when spread over toast.
- 1 kilogram apricots
- 500 grams strawberries
- 1 vanilla bean (halved and scraped)
- 1.2 kilograms brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash the fruits, hull the strawberries, and pit the apricots.
- Cut the apricots into quarters and the strawberries into halves.
- Put them in a bowl with the brown sugar and the vanilla bean, cut in half and scraped. Mix well and let marinate overnight.
- The next day, pour the entire mixture into a large heavy-bottomed saucepan with the lemon juice. Bring to as boil on high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Lower the heat and cook for an additonal 45 minutes while stirring. When foam appears on the surface, remove from heat. The jam is done when, pouring a drop of jam on a plate, it immediately freezes.
- Remove the vanilla bean and put in jars immediately (if you want a finer texture, mix jam with a blender before putting in jars).
- Tighten the lids on the jars and turn them upside down. Let them stay upside down until they've cooled completely.