Apricot FlatbreadLa Cocina de Babel
This apricot flatbread features a potato based yeast dough. Apricot halves are pressed into the dough before baking and sprinkled with sugar to allow for a slightly caramelized crust to form on the top. Allow plenty of time for the dough to rise between kneading and after the apricots are added for optimal gluten development in the dough. This will allow for a beautiful rise and texture. Bake time is 30 to 40 minutes.
- 300 grams boiling potatoes (with their peel)
- 130 grams pork lard (softened, you can substitute vegetable shortening or butter)
- 200 grams sugar
- 7 grams active dry yeast (instant)
- 60 milliliters warm water
- 3 medium eggs
- 30 milliliters olive oil
- 375 grams flour
- apricot halves (very ripe, and pitted)
- granulated sugar
- powdered sugar
- 1Mash the potatoes as finely as possible. Set aside but keep warm.
- 2In a large bowl, add the lard and sugar and mix together with a fork.
- 3Dissolve the yeast in the water and pour into the lard mixing everything together.
- 4Mix in the eggs 1 by 1, the olive oil, and the mashed potatoes. Mix until well combined.
- 5Start adding in the flour little by little while kneading the dough still in the bowl. The dough will be soft and sticky but keep kneading until bubbles start to form. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside until doubled in volume.
- 6Then knead the dough again until bubbles form. Transfer the dough into a generously greased 26 by 41 centimeter baking pan smoothing out the bottom.
- 7Add the halved apricots on top cut-side up. Cover and let double in volume again.
- 8Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 9Sprinkle the impression of the apricots and the surface of the bread with granulated sugar. Place the pan in the oven.
- 10Lower the heat to 180 degrees Celsius and bake 30 to 40 minutes until golden.
- 11Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1060Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.